Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Flag and flashers

Longer term I'm going to mount a light stick on the trike.  Something like this:


There are some useful instructions here:
From this interesting vendor: https://www.led-supplies.com/led-strips/.  Other interesting videos:



But for now I'm going to use a pole with streamers.  I decided to make my own.  Here are the parts I used:


  • 6' fiberglass pole (driveway marker from Home Depot.  About $2.70.
  • 10" piece of semi ridged tubing (Home Depot, used for nail guns) that fits the fiberglass rod semi tight.  I had some left from another project.  $0.00.
  • Several zip ties.  I had some left from other projects. $0.00.
  • Florescent orange and yellow survey marker tape.  I had some left from other projects.  $0.00.
I headed about 1.5" of the end of the tubing to make it soft and flattened it in a vice.  This closes one end so the fiberglass pole will not slip all the way through.  I also drilled a hole to accept a zip tie.  I mounted the tube to the rear luggage rack.

I left a bit of the tube above the rack to stiffen the fiberglass a bit.  I tied some short (1m) and long (2m) pieces of marker tape to the pole and voila, instant cheap safety pole.  The final arrangement looks like this:

FWIW, that same fiberglass pole can be bought with a flag attached for $22.00!  

I've also added rear and front rechargeable strobes, and a mirror attached to the steering with a Velcro strap.

Front strobe and mirror
Rear strobe
 Next up, I'll make a headrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment